Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Moving

It has begun. We’re moving.  It would be nice to say we’re moving in. But we’re just moving out.

Unemployment paid me a surprise visit a few months ago. At first it was just over-nighting. (Or so I thought). Then it was passing through. Then all of a sudden, it lived here. Food was less, bills were more and my unwelcomed visitor just won’t leave. We tried to work with it. We tried working around it. But unemployment just doesn’t work.

The financial strain of living on less requires a new strategy. Otherwise we’ll soon be looking for a creative strategy for living on none.  So, we’re moving out. We’re leaving our home of almost 10 years. This was our first place. We’ve had our best parties, arguments, kisses and Christmases here. And now it’s all crammed into boxes and bags. The rooms are empty. The walls are naked. The cabinets are bare. My heart is broken.

I can’t help but feel the full weight of responsibility for this unscheduled shift in our lives. I’m usually good at letting go. I don’t forget quickly, (my friends will nod here) because I’m cautious not to repeat past mistakes, but I do forgive. (Friends, you should also nod here). Up until now, I thought I’d succeeded. I thought I’d let go of being let go. But as I look around at cold floors once warmed by soft rugs and empty windows once draped by heavy curtains I made myself, I am angry.  I am hurt. My heart is heavy. My fists are firm. My jaw is clenched. And I’m afraid I don’t like you very much. (You know who you are.) I shall have to start over. Anger and heartache won’t let me heal, so now my soul must move, as I do.

When we packed in preparation to move, things first had to be sorted. Over time there are many things. Things you accumulate in duplicate, things you were given, things you bought, things lost, things found, things you love but don’t use, things you use but don’t love. Not all of these things you’ll take with you. Most things you warily wrap, precociously package and lovingly label. These things you’ll keep. But some things will be thrown away. Bagged and left by the curb for collection.

Likewise, I am moving inwardly. I’ve completed my sorting. The knowledge I gained and friends I’ve made, I take with me.  But the rest… The disappointment, the anger, the hurt, the frustration, the confusion, the doubt, the self pity, the tears, the sleeplessness, the heartache, the worry, the whys, the whynots, the past and you, I throw away. I do not like you, but I forgive you. I won’t forget you, but I’ve already bagged you and left you at the curb for collection. Because I am moving. Moving out. And moving on. It has begun.

6 comments:

  1. Hopefully your new life will be better...good luck! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. its never over only beginning, have faith!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once told a friend sometimes people go through the bad in life so that they will have greater love and appreciation for the good when it comes. Today he understood what i meant. There is GOOD for you too my friend. Beginnings are for some a blessing in disguise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we just don't know it's time to move on or when new adventures begin - take care and all the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When our lives have change from being what we have grown so accustom too we sometime feel that change is so hard for us, but there is always a silver lining or a pot of gold waiting at the other end, we may not see it and it is right there, don’t give up move on this is God’s way of putting us just where we should be. Move on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful writing even in a sad topic, but I too believe that although this space is now empty there will be joy in a new space and new memories on the other side of this

    ReplyDelete