Friday, October 29, 2010

Share the Scare

Happy Halloween! That was for those of you who choose to celebrate it. For those of us who choose not to, we can look forward to something equally scary nonetheless,  so here’s a greeting for us, Happy Continued Unemployment! Now that’s the truly scary stuff right there. Ain't nothing happy about it. I’m sure trembling.

As a proud Caribbean person there are holidays we’ve adopted along the years as we’ve become more ‘Americanized’. Halloween is one of them. For some reason, we’ve failed to truly embrace Thanksgiving as I think we should, therefore it’s a constant personal struggle of mine to fully accept ghouls, fake blood and pumpkin carvings as a reason for celebration. Don’t get me wrong, I love the excuse for the exchange of candy  (at our house it's messed up, we only receive, don't knock) and I’m always up for a good costume party, but I’m not your biggest Halloween fan.

Still, us non-working folk need as much social interaction as possible with the working folk, (just so they don’t forget we’re among them), so I’ll be attending all the (free) Halloween parties this weekend. What am I going as? Here’s the plan.

I’m dressing trendy business casual and walking with my Blackberry. Inevitably I’ll be asked the usual question “So what are you supposed to be?” and I’ve got my response all ready. “Can’t you tell? I’m supposed to be working! But sadly I’m not, I’m unemployed. Let’s discuss how you can help.” This is where I’ll whip out my phone, send them my details and scan theirs. Taadah!

I’m sure that’s guaranteed to scare a few people away, but since I’m scared of another month of uncertain income, quite frankly, better you scared than me. Feel free to give it a try, let me know how it goes. Oh, be warned you may not get invited back a party in a hurry if you scare the host. (So don’t scare the host.) But everyone else, go get your freak on. 

1 comment: